Wednesday, May 2

A years worth of dates~

Today marks 3 yrs since the day we made it legal. 
1,095 days of wedded bliss.
It's weird how it doesn't feel like its been THAT long, yet at the same time it feels like longer. Not so much 'new' anymore, but still fresh. 

Since the kiddos arrived, we no longer exchange gifts & we don't really 'celebrate' much. We have parties for the kids, but nothing really for ourselves. It's not like "We're burnt out & can't even do anything for ourselves!" it's more of "We're grown-ups & had plenty of years celebrating ourselves, now we just want to shower our kids with celebration!"

For our 1st Anniversary I was 8+ months pregnant with 'J' & not exactly "comfortable", so we went out for Fondue. Just something fun that we hadn't done before.
Our 2nd Anniversary we took the train to Chicago for our 1st weekend away from 'J'. We rented Bicycles & biked the pier & around the city. Ate Sushi, read books laying in the park & relaxed. It was perfect (other than losing our brand new camera on the first night...I'm not going to say WHO lost it, but I will say that it wasn't me...).
And that brings us to now. We almost took the easy way out & used up a Groupon for dinner & movie passes for a show, but I decided to put my foot down. Even though we don't do much...we should at least do something somewhat special. It is our Wedding Anniversary after all! I looked around & found a movie theater that offers a special 'Dinner & a Movie' package. They set up a gourmet buffet & dessert table an hour & a half before the show, & you also get refreshments, popcorn & pop during the show. A show that you watch in a Premiere Theater with Temper-pedic Leather seats & wooden side tables! 
Perfect!
So we went ahead got tickets to see The Avengers this saturday night. I can't wait!

But what to do for a gift?
Not only do we have a budget of $0 for that area, but we kinda have a 'no gifts' policy in place. BUT- I'm not one to always follow the rules...
Then I remembered something I saw on Pinterest a while back, date envelopes...

I got out a stack of blank note cards I had laying around & got to work

At the beginning of each month you open the card 
& see what date you have planned. 
(or in our case you open it the month prior
so you can budget/plan a month ahead)

I did a mix of free/discount dates, older "memory" dates & new dates. Any coupons/gift certificates/vouchers we already had were also put in the card so we don't forget to use them. I put the most expensive ones in our birthday months so it will count as our birthday night out as well, win/win!

Heres what we have in store for the next year:

HUSBAND, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, NOW IS THE TIME YOU SHOULD LOOK AWAY!! DON'T RUIN A YEARS WORTH OF SURPRISES!! BUT ALSO DON'T BE A LAME-O BY NOT LETTING ME TELL THESE FINE FOLKS WHAT I CAME UP WITH!! WHY AM I STILL YELLING?!?! BACK TO WHAT I was saying in a normal tone...

JUNE- Dinner out (using Groupon that is going to expire)
JULY- Putt Putt Adventure
AUGUST- Movie Night *Gentleman's Choice, using vouchers
SEPTEMBER- Drinks at the new Speak Easy style bar (for Hubbys bday)
OCTOBER- Painting with a Twist (my bday)
NOVEMBER- Kids Sleepover at Grandparents *includes breakfast in bed ;)
DECEMBER- Night of Bowling Fun
JANUARY- Improv show at local comedy club
FEBRUARY- Candlelit dinner at home *Gentleman's Choice
MARCH- Movie Night in *includes popcorn & bottle of wine
APRIL- Pottery Painting at local studio
MAY-4th Anniversary, Dinner & a Movie at premiere theater

I think this would be super fun for a childs gift as well! You could put things like 'picnic in the park', 'zoo date', 'ice skating', etc. And each month they get to open the date envelope & have a special day ready & waiting for them :) I think we will definitely do something like this for 'J' when he gets a little older.

And there you have it, a DIY gift that keeps on giving...literally..for a year ;)


1 comment:

Why Hello there, Darling/Sir :)
Can't wait to hear what's on your mind.
Type away, Friend, type away~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...